Monday, February 25, 2008

Another new Donner performance

Ruth Whitman's poem cycle Tamsen Donner: A Woman's Journey has inspired yet another artistic interpretation, described as an "operatorio in one act."

On March 14 and 15 the Seattle EXperimental Opera (SEXO) will present Tom Baker's Hunger: The Journey of Tamsen Donner at 8:00 PM at the Chapel at Good Shepherd Center in Seattle -- see Tom's website or the press release for more information. Anybody who attends, please report back and let us know what you thought of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I was there, but full disclosure: I am the composer. So of course I was there (I also performed in the show). Given that, I don't think it appropriate to give a review, but I can tell you that we did 2 performances, both sold out, SRO on closing night. We had Eliza Donner's great grandson in attendance on Friday night (a surprise to me).

We also had some good pre-press, including a preview in the Seattle Times: seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2004280405_jazz14.html.

And if you are still interested, here is a link for a radio interview (includes some live performances of the two pieces from the opera) - starts about 14 minutes in.

http://www.kuow.org/defaultProgram.asp?ID=14434



I hope if anyone saw the show they can offer their own thoughts too.

Thanks for the great blog too.

Kristin Johnson said...

Hi, Tom, thanks for the update; looks like it was a success. Please keep us informed about future performances of this work.

Kristin